Activist Sonam Wangchuk has expressed cautious optimism following recent discussions between Ladakh representatives and the central government, while also raising concerns that the region could potentially face unrest, similar to the situation in Manipur. Despite acknowledging that the recent talks with the Centre represent a “positive step,” Wangchuk stressed that trust-building in the region remains incomplete, pointing to unresolved issues stemming from protests last year, including the seizure of personal technological devices and actions taken against institutions associated with the movement.
In an interview following the latest round of discussions with a Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) sub-committee, Wangchuk conveyed a shift in his outlook after Thursday’s meeting, though he said he remains vigilant. According to Wangchuk, this recent engagement has brought about a noticeable difference, especially considering his previous experience of being detained earlier this year. Information reaching TahirRihat.com suggests that the release order referred to creating “an environment of trust” and moving towards “meaningful and constructive dialogue.”
Wangchuk, however, expressed concern that the situation on the ground has not reflected these assurances. He stated that there was a sense of division among the people, with rifts developing between Leh and Kargil, as well as conflicts arising between Buddhists and Muslims. He felt that genuine trust-building was not taking place and that a meaningful dialogue seemed unlikely. According to Wangchuk, the preceding week had been notably negative, marked by widespread conflict, leading him to fear that Ladakh might become another Manipur, as it seemed to be heading in that direction.
However, Wangchuk stated that the latest engagement with the Centre has brought some relief. Wangchuk noted that both parties have taken a step forward, referring to the meeting with the Home Ministry sub-committee. He emphasized that his optimism hinges on the government’s implementation of tangible measures in the coming weeks. The activist drew attention to several unresolved issues that continue to undermine confidence, prominently featuring the ongoing seizure of his mobile phone. The device was confiscated during protests approximately eight months prior.
He stated that his mobile phone was taken when he was detained, and despite being released over two months ago, he has not yet had it returned. He described the impact of this situation, explaining that without his phone, he is unable to perform simple tasks such as booking transportation or plane tickets. Wangchuk said that digitally, he has effectively become useless in Digital India and has chosen not to replace the phone or recreate his digital access as a matter of principle. According to Wangchuk, the government has left him partially free while keeping the other part of him in custody, alluding to the continued seizure of his phone, emails, and digital records.
Wangchuk also highlighted persistent issues surrounding the land lease and FCRA license of the Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh (HIAL). He explained that the land of HIAL was cancelled despite having all the necessary documents, and their FCRA has not been restored. Furthermore, he asserted that scrutiny of the institution’s accounts had not revealed any wrongdoing. These issues, Wangchuk argued, have prompted him to question the reasons behind his release. He posed the question of whether he was released out of sympathy or due to the intervention of the Supreme Court.
While acknowledging the recent progress in talks, Wangchuk stated that he would assess the Centre’s intentions based on its actions over the next few weeks, conveying his desire to see if they rectify these issues within that timeframe. For Wangchuk, the most significant trust deficit revolves around cases stemming from the September 24 protests in Ladakh. He expressed concerns over criminal charges against protesters and deaths associated with the movement. Wangchuk questioned whether those cases would be withdrawn, asserting that only then would there be genuine trust.
He expressed hope that the change in tone during the latest meeting would extend to decisions regarding pending cases, compensation, and institutional issues, conveying his hope that they would rectify all these matters. Wangchuk’s remarks followed talks between representatives of the Leh Apex Body and Kargil Democratic Alliance and the MHA sub-committee on constitutional safeguards, democratic powers, and governance arrangements for Ladakh. The two prominent civil society groups from Ladakh have been jointly advocating for statehood for Ladakh, constitutional safeguards for land and jobs, and greater democratic powers since Ladakh became a Union Territory without a legislature in 2019. According to a joint statement following the sub-committee meeting on Thursday, both groups indicated they reached an “in-principle understanding” with the Government of India on restoring democracy in Ladakh and providing constitutional safeguards similar to those in Nagaland, Sikkim, and Mizoram under Article 371.
Tahir Rihat (also known as Tahir Bilal) is an independent journalist, activist, and digital media professional from the Chenab Valley of Jammu and Kashmir, India. He is best known for his work as the Online Editor at The Chenab Times.

